Oxfam in Algeria – Sahrawi Refugee Camps
Oxfam in Algeria has been active in the Saharawi refugee camps since 1975. Its humanitarian programme in the camps has been focusing on food security until 2016. The programme has transitioned from emergency aid to a combination of humanitarian (focusing on WASH and Food Security) and resilience interventions with policy and influencing work locally and globally.
Oxfam has recently moved to its 2020 global model by which country programmes are expected to align with key programmatic and operational standards. This includes well defined ways of working promoting programme quality, local humanitarian leadership and investment in people.
Oxfam in Algeria is revising its strategy to the improvement of delivery of basic needs, core services and social development for Sahrawi refugees living in the five camps in Tindouf region. This strategy has a particular focus on the increased quality and quantity of aid delivered in the camps, with particular focus on the development of new need-based projects and the diversification of funds in the context of the forgotten crisis of Western Sahara. Hence, further capacity development of its growing team (with core humanitarian and technical standards) is crucial to enable both quality and sustainability.
Oxfam in Algeria is seeking a Partnerships and Capacity Development Advisor to join its team. S/He will work closely with the Country Director and Programme Manager and will act as focal point for all communication with donors and the programme data collection/management.
To support the country office to develop capacities of its staff and existing/potential partners through trainings, coaching and the development of systems and procedures.
- Lead on design and development of Partner assessment and scoring tools (self-assessment tool, in depth capacity assessment tool, training need assessment, etc).
- Review and analysis of the partners’ policies such as (fiscal policy, logistics policy, gender policy ...)
- Lead on Partner Mapping, background checks and assessment.
- Develop evaluation and assessment reports and capacity development plans on the organisations that have been evaluated.
Capacity Development and Training Delivery:
- Lead on design and delivery of training modules for partners and staff adapted to the context on the indicative topics of Humanitarian Principles, PCM, MEAL, Proposal Writing, Safe Programming, SPHERE and CHS; conduct training evaluations to evaluate learning
- Develop the training workplan for Oxfam staff and partners.
- Mobilise and cooperate with other departments of Oxfam to support capacity development work.
- Provide support to Project/Programme Managers to ensure the relevant technical support is provided for their teams and partners.
- Supervise the logistics and financial services used in the training.
- Review the quality of existing training materials and perform translations into Arabic.
- Train staff to become familiar with Oxfam’s Partnership Approach and Principles
- Develop a country-specific Partnership Framework and tools (assessment format, contracts, MoUs, etc).
- Review current contract templates and MoU templates to align with Oxfam approaches and ways of working.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights (click here).
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- A university degree in Education, Development Studies, Social Sciences, or other relevant experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the NGO sector.
- Extensive experience in Partnerships and working closely with local actors in the MENA region
- Effective knowledge sharing Tools and approaches/ Capacity Development
- Extensive experience in adult learning methods and training design and delivery
- Excellent knowledge of Project Management and high level of initiative
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Responsible, flexible and adaptable
- Good team player
- Excellent computer literacy.
- Strong organisational skills, detail oriented with ability to produce accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent command of English and Arabic (or Spanish); knowledge of French is an asset.
- Ability to work within a multicultural, multilingual, and multidisciplinary environment and to work effectively with others in a team across institutional boundaries and business units.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
- Place of work: Tindouf (South Algeria),
- Gross salary: competitive salary adapted to the organization's salary grid.
- 3 months full-time contract, renewable depending on obtaining new funding
- Start date : asap
How to apply
Kindly send us your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 20 September 2020, with the reference “Partnerships and Capacity Development Advisor ”.
For Oxfam, the equality of opportunities is very important. Candidates are therefore selected based on their qualities and capacities, without account of their age, origin or sex.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for a personal interview