Terms of Reference
Emergency Food Security & Vulnerable Livelihoods (EFSVL) Expert
Oxfam in Algeria
Oxfam has operated in the Sahrawi refugee camps since 1975 and has established itself as a key humanitarian actor in the area. Oxfam has developed a multi-sectoral approach spanning WaSH, Food Security and Youth, with a cross-cutting commitment to advocacy and to the humanitarian, development and peace nexus.
To reduce widespread dependence on humanitarian aid, especially food distributions, as well as to encourage more sustainable and efficient access to nutrition, Oxfam is working with over 500 Sahrawi refugee families to improve small-scale, agro-ecological farming. Oxfam seeks to establish self-sustaining associations of farmers to collectively sell their produce on the local market. Through its support to families, Oxfam is piloting several water-efficient, innovative irrigation techniques to optimize agricultural production in the harsh desert environment.
The majority of Sahrawi refugees remain dependent on humanitarian aid while the nutrition status worsens across the camps. Oxfam’s food security programme promotes access of vulnerable refugees to fresh produce, in complementary to the WFP dry food basket. In conjunction with broad distributions, Oxfam will pilot targeted distributions to 8,000 refugees with particular health and nutritional vulnerabilities. Oxfam maintains its distribution of gluten-free flour to the celiac population in the camps.
Language of the Study
Required: Arabic or Spanish + English or French.
Sahrawi refugee camps - Tindouf - Algeria
4 Months - whose first month can be done remotely
The holder of this position will be responsible for developing Oxfam in Algeria’s EFSVL Strategy, working with the EFSVL team to improve implementation of ongoing activities and supporting project and proposal development for prospective actions. The team is seeking an expert who provides both administrative support and strategic guidance, while at the same time is willing to be in the field, conducting research and improving implementation of field activities.
- Required qualifications and expertise
Education & Experience:
- Post-graduate degree in relevant discipline (ex. Economics, Social Science, Agricultural science or relevant field).
- Fluency in at least one local language (Arabic or Spanish) and at least one foreign language (English or French) is mandatory.
- 10 years professional experience in the field with international NGOs in food security and livelihood sectors.
- Strong administrative capacity; Able to write strategies, project proposals, concise reports and develop research tools.
- Able to provide field-oriented support, including participating in primary research initiatives and discussions with stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of ESFVL assessment, monitoring and evaluation; project design; technical standards and best practices; thematic expertise in at least 1-2 areas including cash-transfer and market-based programming, social protection and/or resilience; agriculture and livestock; food aid; and/or nutrition.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective trainer, to build the capacity of field teams.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Desk review and methodology establishment
Field work and report production
January, February, March 2022
- How to apply:
Please click on the link above to download the following document:
- Identification Sheet: to fill
- General Purchase Conditions purchases: to read and approve
- Ethical and environmental purchasing policy: To read and approve
- RFQ consultant EFSVL: to fill
- TOR EFSVL Expert: to read
Send your resume (CV) With the listed documents above via email titled ‘21-108 EFSVL Consultancy’ to Sahara.firstname.lastname@example.org .
Deadline to receive quotations is Saturday the 20th of November @ 23h59.
If you have any questions you can contact us on the same email.