35 organisaties eisen vandaag in een gezamenlijke, wereldwijde oproep dat de Israëlische regering een einde maakt aan de blokkade van Gaza, de beperkingen op de import van bouwmaterialen opheft en vaart maakt met de heropbouw na de oorlog van 2014. Het aantal mensen dat de oproep steunt, nadert het half miljoen - goed voor de grootste publieke actie ooit tegen de blokkade.
With the number of people supporting the call increasing by the hour, this has quickly become the largest ever global public push to end the blockade on the Gaza Strip, with international organizations and the public petitioning world leaders to uphold promises made to rebuild Gaza one year ago.
On the anniversary of the end of the conflict between the government of Israel and Palestinian armed groups, the organisations are calling for construction materials like wood, steel bars and cement to be allowed into Gaza to end so that hospitals, schools and homes can be urgently rebuilt.
Last year’s conflict saw over 19,000 homes destroyed, and left 100,000 people homeless. Donor governments have pledged $3.5 billion to rebuild Gaza, but a year on, Israeli restrictions on building materials continue to cause delays. Reconstruction has started on just over 2,000 of the 19,000 homes destroyed last year, and not a single home has been fully rebuilt.
The campaign launched by the global citizens movement Avaaz and the organisations says:
“By placing restrictions on the movement of people and goods, the blockade is punishing innocent civilians for acts for which they bear no responsibility. There can never be a justification for leaving families without a home and the sick without a hospital.”
The 35 organizations and 150,000 people referenced in this statement represent the numbers endorsing this action as of 12:01 PM UTC 25 August 2015. As support for this petition grows, you can continue to check this page for the full list of organizations and the number of people supporting the call. It will be updated regularly as our numbers grow by the hour.
People are encouraged to support the petition through signing up on the Oxfam-page, contributing directly to the joint petition.
- Action Against Hunger (ACF)
- Asamblea de Cooperacion por la Paz (ACPP)
- Alianza por la Solidaridad
- Broederlijk Delen
- Christian Aid
- COSPE, Cooperazione per lo Sviluppo dei Paesi Emergenti
- CISP-Comitato Internazionale Sviluppo dei Popoli
- CCFD-Terre Solidaire
- Embrace the Middle East
- Fobzu (Friends of Birzeit University)
- French Platform of NGO’s for Palestine
- Gruppo di Volontariato
- HelpAge international
- Heinrich Böll Foundation Palestine/Jordan Office
- Japan International Volunteer Center
- Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP – UK)
- medico international
- Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
- Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA)
- Pax Christi Flanders
- Pax Christi International
- Physicians for Human Rights – Israel
- Rebuilding Alliance
- Secours Islamique France
- Terre des Hommes Italy
- The Lutheran World Federation
- The Swedish Organisation for Individual Relief/ IM- Swedish Development Partner
- World Vision International